It really did take me way too long to discover how awesome dyed rice is! I wish I had given it a go many years ago when I ran a kindy room.
Oh well, better late than never!
How to dye rice:
- As much rice as you like!
- A dash of vinegar
- As much or as little food dye as you need to make the colour you desire
- A container to mix it in (a zip lock bag is perfect for mixing the ingredients evenly however I prefer to put them in a baking tray and stir with a fork so I don’t contribute more plastic to waste but I’ll leave that up to you)
- Put all ingredients together and mix until you have covered all rice evenly
- Leave in a non pourous container to air dry, turning it over occasionally
Here are some ideas of how to play with your awesome new rice.
Home corner/pretend play cooking
Kmart play tray with sea creatures and shells
Natural resources mixed with a range of loose parts and rice
A different selection of loose parts
Mini rice shakers
Rainbow rice shakers
Have fun and feel free to share your own ideas!